How Can We Help You?

One of Bitter Root Humane Association’s priorities is to keep people and their pets together. The resources below include programs and services for both pet and owner needs, and hopefully, will give you an alternative to surrendering. Listed here are just a few of the resources available; a printable complete list of the resources can be found at the bottom of this page. Please note that our list only covers Ravalli and Missoula Counties and is not inclusive. We will do our best to keep these resources up to date and add more as found. For other counties in Montana please contact your local Human Resource Council, Office of Public Assistance or call the 211 Hotline (information on page 4).

Resources for Animal Services

Emergency & Disaster Resources

Disasters are as diverse as a building collapse, drought, blizzard, fire, or any situation that leaves animals helpless and without care. As the only animal rescue facility in Ravalli County, we are responsible to help care for ALL the animals in our community. Please use this resource page to PROACTIVELY plan should the need arise to evacuate your area and have the necessary items available.

Register to receive emergency communications from the County:

Food Assistance Options

Bitter Root Humane Association-Community Pet Pantry406.363.5311
262 Fairgrounds Road, Hamilton, MT 59840
Open: Mon-Fri 1pm-6pm Sat noon – 5pm & Sun noon – 2pm  Ravalli County: Animal food bank, open to the general public in need of pet food (dog, cat & occasional others). Food and other items’ availability depends on supply.

1700 Rankin Street, Missoula, MT 59808
Missoula County/Western Montana: Providing food for hungry animals in shelters, rescues, shut-ins etc. Call for days and hours.

The Humane Society of Western Montana406.549.3934
5930 Hwy 93S, Missoula, MT 59804
Missoula County: The Humane Society of Western Montana continues to help community members by providing a pet food pantry for those in need and for feral cat colony caregivers. Collars, leashes, food bowls, treats and other miscellaneous pet supplies are also available. Call for days and hours.

Housing Issues

Montana Fair Housing1.800.929.2611 MT Relay – 711
501 E. Front Street #533, Butte, MT 59701
Montana Fair Housing
Federal and state fair housing laws prohibit discrimination in housing. These laws apply to public and private housing, and cover practices in the advertising, rental, sales, lending, appraisal, and insurance industries, including the actions of Home Owner Associations and the enforcement of covenants. Federal and State nondiscrimination laws address practices that limit the availability of housing and housing-related services BECAUSE OF membership in protected classes. Exemptions are included in these laws and some households may be excluded at particular housing sites.
Concerning housing issues, if you feel you are being discriminated against, contact the office and let the staff determine if you are and what options are available to you.

Veterinary Resources

*Resources for veterinary care are limited, first check with your and other local veterinarians to see if they have programs or payment options that would fit your budget.

National and Online Resources

  • Look into national and regional organizations that may be able to help. HSUS and Best Friends offer resource pages with lists of organizations providing information about paying veterinary bills and veterinary assistance funds.
  • Consider crowdfunding through websites like GoFundMe or Waggle.
  • Consider temporary credit from resources like CareCredit or Scratchpay
  • The RedRover Relief Urgent Care grant program provides financial assistance, resources and emotional support for pet guardians struggling with economic hardship when pets are in life-threatening situations. The average grant is around $250 and is intended to fill a small gap in funding that is keeping an animal from care.

Fox Hollow Animal Project – 406.361.1081/for appointments only
493 Quast Lane, Corvallis, MT  59828 – for info email: [email protected]

Ravalli County: Private non-profit organization that provides low-cost spay/neuter surgeries to feral feline colonies and private feline owners as schedule allows.

The Humane Society of Western Montana – 406.549.3934
5930 Hwy 93S, Missoula, MT  59804

Missoula County: Depending on scheduling and funding, services may include: spay/neuter clinics, vaccination clinics and a medical assistance fund. For detailed information visit the website at:

Rehoming Your Pet

Having to make the decision to rehome a pet is not an easy one. At this time, many shelters & rescues are full, and may not be able to take your pet immediately.  In the mean-time the following resources may help:

Home To Home™ is an online pet placement platform that helps pet owners find new homes (permanent or temporary) for their pets. Home To Home™ believes pets that need a new home do best if they can be transitioned directly from their current home to a new, loving home and avoid the stress of a stay at an animal shelter.

Rehoming Your Pet
Rehoming your pet should be easy and stress free both for you and your pet. Experts at have created a simple, reliable program to help you place your pet from your loving home directly to another. Learn more here:

Other Online Resources

  • Bitterroot Pets – Facebook Page
  • Montana Free Pets – Facebook Page
  • Montana Animals – Facebook Page
  • A Pets Safe Haven – Facebook Page

*For information concerning animals in other areas of Montana, contact the local area shelter or rescues to see what programs & services may be available.  Go to

National Animal Welfare Sites:

Resources for Human Services

Food Resources


Ravalli County Office of Public Assistance
Open Monday-Friday 406.363.1944    
310 N. Third Street, Hamilton, MT  59840
Apply for the federal food stamp program now called SNAP or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.  Eligibility is based on many factors. *this office also serves to provide Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and Health Coverage assistance. Call for information and application procedures

Haven House
Open M-W-F/10am-2pm and 2nd & 4th Wed 5pm-7pm 406.363.2450
316 N. Third Street, Ste.162, Hamilton, MT  59840 (alley entrance)
Food Bank serving residents in Hamilton and Corvallis.

Pantry Partners
Open M-W-F 11am – 2:30pm 406.777.0351
3614 Alc Way, Stevensville, MT  59870
Food bank serving North Ravalli County residents.

Darby Bread Box
Open M-W-F 10am – 2pm 406.821.2081
304 East Tanner Avenue, Darby, MT  59829
Food Bank serving South Ravalli County residents.


Missoula County Office of Public Assistance
Mon-Fri 888.706.1535
2677 Palmer Street, Suite 100, Missoula, MT  59808
Apply for the federal food stamp program now called SNAP or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, TANF/Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and Health Coverage assistance. Households must meet basic income and resource guidelines. Call for information and application procedures.

Missoula Food Bank
Check website for days/hours 406.549.0543
1720 Wyoming Street, Missoula, MT  59801
Food Bank serving the Missoula area.

Other Available Resources

211 Information and Referral Line linking to area social services that include: food, health, heating, housing, day care, support groups, community organizations and much more.  Simply dial 211 on your phone and you will connect to a “real” person who is trained to analyze your problem or question, however complicated, and refer you to the proper agencies and organizations that can help. You can also access the information on the webpage at:  https:/

There are many more resources available